Tuesday, July 31, 2012

The Trouble With Magic (A Bewitching Mystery #1) by Madelyn Alt

The Trouble With Magic (A Bewitching Mystery, #1)The Trouble With Magic by Madelyn Alt

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


Antiques-shop clerk Maggie O'Neill was a little weirded out when she discovered her new boss Felicity was a witch. But when Felicity becomes the suspect in a local murder, Maggie must enlist Felicity's wiccan friends for help--and discover her own spellbinding talent.~~~



This book was really slow for me. I had a hard time staying interested. I liked the characters and the premise of the book, but the execution was not great for me. The author's writing style was a bit too wordy for me. Overly descriptive in some areas and repetitive in others. I was expecting a paranormal cozy mystery but ended up feeling like I got an intro course in New Age/Mysticism instead. The mystery itself seemed to be a background for Maggie's discovery of 'magic'. (I use the word magic loosely as I feel like it is more about religion than magic in some ways.) I did however like the characters and am hoping that future books in the series get better. I like the mysterious Marcus and the stormy beginning for Maggie and Tom. The intro to the NIGHTS left a lot of possibilities for future characters. So while I may not jump right on the next book in the series, I will eventually get back to it.




View all my reviews

No comments: