Monday, January 2, 2012

A Tale Dark and Grimm by Adam Gidwitz


A Tale Dark and GrimmA Tale Dark and Grimm by Adam Gidwitz
My rating: 4 of 5 stars


In this mischievous and utterly original debut, Hansel and Gretel walk out of their own story and into eight other classic Grimm-inspired tales. As readers follow the siblings through a forest brimming with menacing foes, they learn the true story behind (and beyond) the bread crumbs, edible houses, and outwitted witches.

Fairy tales have never been more irreverent or subversive as Hansel and Gretel learn to take charge of their destinies and become the clever architects of their own happily ever after.

~~~~~~~


My 11 year old daughter bought this book at the school book fair and brought it home. She wanted me to read it with her so we have been reading it together over the last couple weeks. I have to say that I totally enjoyed the book, as an adult who loves to read horror novels, but I was a bit concerned that it was not quite appropriate for my 11 year old. This is quite a dark and graphic book, even though it is written in a humorous, Lemony Snicket style, with the author breaking into the story with comments, advice, etc. There is no question that is was written to be a humorous recounting of a collection of fairy tales, but I think that it is important that you are sure your child is able to understand that it is all just make believe. That being said, I would recommend it to any and all adult fans of horror, fairy tales and humorous wit.


View all my reviews

No comments: