Sunday, March 4, 2012

Kissing Corpses by Amy Leigh Strickland

Kissing CorpsesKissing Corpses by Amy Leigh Strickland

My rating: 3 of 5 stars


A novella.

"Miss Kendall Harker,

From the night we first met, I knew that you belonged at my side. There was something extraordinary about you, even in your most fragile moment.

In all of my time on this earth I have never met a woman as beautiful as you who has the wit and the strength of will to match it. Feeling the pounding of your heart through your breasts, warm against my chest, as we lay together, reminds me of what it feels like to be alive. Not since my death have I felt such excitement and hope for my future. Our future.

All of my roaming through time has been for the sole purpose of finding you. I never wish to be separated from you. Never again will I have to go to my grave alone. My daily death will be a sweet respite with your body next to mine. You are mine, and either you or I or both shall perish before I ever let you go.

Forever Yours,
Rawdon Hale"

~~~



I have to say that I almost did not finish this book. The first 40% of the book was full of unimportant details and descriptions that really took away from the story. The flow was very jerky and there are several grammatical/typographical errors throughout the book that are minor, but still annoying. It read like a cheesy vampire romance that I was not really interested in reading. The only reason that I kept reading, quite honestly, was because of the 2 reviews on Goodreads that claim the story falls somewhere between a vampire romance novel and a horror novel. So I kept telling myself that something more has to happen. The story does take a turn about half way through that makes it more readable. The flow smooths out a bit and we no longer have to endure those boring details that ran rampant throughout the beginning of the story.



The author's note at the end of the book helps to explain what she was trying to do but it just did not work well for me. The twist at the end was unexpected and it managed to switch the entire story to a new plot and set of main characters and I am not sure that went over very smoothly. I know that this is a new author and I am hoping that with some honest reviews that she can polish her writing. She has some good ideas here, she just needs to work on getting them across on paper to the reader.



View all my reviews

***Kindle Edition

No comments: