Sunday, July 6, 2008

The Mammoth Book of Comic Fantasy by Mike Ashley

The Mammoth Book of Comic Fantasy The Mammoth Book of Comic Fantasy by Mike Ashley


Synopsis
The very best in whimsical and hilarious fantasy writing, this collection features specially commissioned stories by such masters of the fanciful imagination as Rabelais and Swift, Lewis Carroll and Edward Lear, P.G. Wodehouse, and James Thurber.


Includes stories by

Neil Gaiman
Tom Hold
Terry Jones
Terry Pratchett
Jane Yolen



My review


rating: 3 of 5 stars
Let me start by saying that this is a huge book. There are only 512 pages, but it seems to go on forever. I think that this book would be enjoyed most if it was placed on a coffee table in your living room and picked up every now and again when you are in the mood for a short read. But to sit down and read it straight through was quite a chore.



I originally picked this book up solely for the Terry Pratchett Discworld story 'Troll Bridge'. But there are quite a few great stories in here. My favorite was probably 'A Fortnight of Miracles' by Randall Garrett -- but there were quite a few others worth mentioning --



Pizza To Go by Tom Holt

Death Swatch by Esther Friesner

Alaska by John Morressy

The Return of Mad Santa by Al Sarrantonio

Ruella in Love by Molly Brown



I know that there were others that I enjoyed as well, but these stick out.



Overall a fun read, but one that probably needs to be savored in small bites.


View all my reviews.

No comments: