Saturday, July 21, 2007

#61 -- Resurrection Dreams by Richard Laymon




FROM THE PUBLISHER
A man discovers he has the ability to bring people back from the dead, and he's determined to work his magic on the girl of his dreams--but first he'll have to kill her.


My Opinion
One thing I can say for Laymon, he can be counted on to deliver if you are looking for sick & twisted.

Melvin Dobbs is the kind of guy that no one likes and everyone likes to pick on and for good reason. Melvin's obsession is to resurrect the dead. After a high school stunt to resurrect a dead cheerleader backfires, Melvin is sent away to an institution where he is 'cured' of his obsession, or so he says.

Vicki was the only girl in high school who ever stood up for Melvin. Now she is back in Elsworth after completing her medical school and residency, to practice medicine in her hometown. But along with her education she brings nightmares of Melvin 'resurrecting' the dead cheerleader. She knows that she is going to have to face Melvin again, but she never dreams that she will become the driving force behind his obsession.

Melvin is determined to prove that he is 'Melvin the Magnificent' and bring back someone from the dead. The lack of cadavers to experiment on does not stop him either. He just creates his own. After many tries he is finally successful in resurrecting a nurse that he has murdered. The ensuing horror that comes with his success is a sick and twisted ride through the imagination of Laymon.

A good zombie story, with interesting characters. I quite enjoyed it!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

WOW - you really like horror! Love the genre too, but this year I decided to expand out and haven't read as much as I'd like to.

Wendy said...

Yes, horror is my old fall back genre. Recently I discovered Paranormal and have been reading quite a bit of that, but Horror is still my old time favorite.

Camille Alexa said...

You're a regular review machine.

Wendy said...

LOL @ Camille. I work for the school system so I am off work during the summer and am able to indulge my obsession with books. Of course once school starts back soon I won't be able to read quite as much.