Friday, November 23, 2012

Gregor the Overlander (Underland Chronicles, #1) by Suzanne Collins

Gregor the Overlander (Underland Chronicles, #1)Gregor the Overlander by Suzanne Collins

My rating: 4 of 5 stars


When eleven-year-old Gregor follows his little sister through a grate in the laundry room of their New York apartment, he hurtles into the dark Underland beneath the city. There, humans live uneasily beside giant spiders, bats, cockroaches, and rats—but the fragile peace is about to fall apart.

Gregor wants no part of a conflict between these creepy creatures. He just wants to find his way home. But when he discovers that a strange prophecy foretells a role for him in the Underland's uncertain future, he realizes it might be the only way to solve the biggest mystery of his life. Little does he know his quest will change him and the Underland forever.

Rich in suspense and brimming with adventure, Suzanne Collin's debut marked a thrilling new talent, and introduced a character no young reader will ever forget.
~~~~~~


Reading this series along with my 12 year old. Since it is by the author of 'Hunger Games' I was expecting a great read. I was not disappointed. Both my daughter and I enjoyed this first book in the series.

Keeping in mind that this is a children's book, the adventure that Greogor finds himself involved in is quite enthralling. I found that I wanted to keep reading to find out what happens next. What a fantastical world Collins has created in Underland. With talking roaches, spiders, bats and rats. As Gregor realizes that he is the prophesied Warrior who can save the humans from war with the rats, he also has to worry about taking care of his baby sister Boots and discovering that his father who disappeared over 2 years ago is in Underland and being help as prisoner by the rats. All in all a very emotional journey that we get to join the questors on. I am very much looking forward to the next book in the series as soon as I can get it from my daughter.



View all my reviews

No comments: