Saturday, May 1, 2010

Scar Night (Deepgate Codex, #1) by Alan Campbell

Scar Night (Deepgate Codex, #1) Scar Night by Alan Campbell


An insane angel, a bitter young assassin, a drunkard desperate to enact a father's revenge, and a naive boy angel wrapped in a dark steampunk setting...

In the city of Deepgate, suspended by chains over a seemingly bottomless abyss, there are two angels: one, an untested boy, the last of his line, forbidden to fly and unable even to wield the great heirloom sword of his legendary ancestors; the other, a psychotic murderess mad for revenge - or redemption.
When one of the city's own turns against its people, bringing enemies to its doorstep, both seek a powerful magic at the bottom of the chasm - and learn that what lies below is far more sinister than they've been taught to expect.


My rating: 3 of 5 stars
This was an interesting read. Different than my typical read and I am looking forward to reading the next in the series, but I do have a couple of complaints. This book was mostly about world building, but I still have trouble imagining what Deepgate is. We get the basics, but there seems to be a lot missing. How and why was Deepgate created? What is the abyss? I just feel like the author spent a lot of time getting us acquainted with the world, but did not go into any depth.

The characters are well developed and likable. I really want to read more about what happens with Dill, Rachael and Carnival.

For me the books was just getting good when it ended. So I am looking forward to the next book which I hope to be able to get to soon.

View all my reviews >>

No comments: