Saturday, August 4, 2007

#66 -- Shades of Gray by Amanda Ashley



From the Publisher
Bound by chains, the vampire had slept for 100 years, locked in pain and hunger, until the scent of one woman’s blood recalled him to life. Lost in darkness, Grigori finds new sustenance in the light of Marisa’s love, and new purpose in his life. Only he can protect her from the evil that stalks the night. Grigori vows to show Marisa that not all the undead are monsters, and that somewhere between the black and white of damnation and desire lay infinite shades of gray.

My Opinion
I guess that I am a romantic at heart, because I really enjoyed this book. I picked this book up because I have Ashley’s ‘Desire After Dark’ on my TBR mountain and after looking through her books it seems that ‘Shades of Gray’ is the first book in a trilogy that ends with Desire. So being anal about reading books in order I had to find the first two in the trilogy to read prior to reading Desire. Glad I did too, because I loved this book.

The characters are fantastic. I was really drawn into their lives. Grigori is a Vampyre who has been roaming the earth for 200 years, trying to exact revenge on the ancient vampire who destroyed his family. Edward is a vampire-hunter from a family of hunters, who has forged an uneasy alliance with Grigori, in order to destroy the one vampire, who as of yet, has been too powerful for him to destroy. Marissa is the woman who’s blood reawakens Grigori & Edward’s enemy from a deep sleep. She is also the woman who both men are falling in love with as they try to protect her from that enemy, Alexi, while they attempt to hunt him down and destroy him.

One of the things that I really enjoyed about this book is that the characters are realistic. The author is very detailed in showing us their lives, struggles, fears, and hopes.

Totally enjoyable book, and I am thrilled to say that I have the next in the trilogy, ‘After Sundown’, to start on first thing in the morning.

2 comments:

Camille Alexa said...

I'm loving the breadth and scope of your reading choices.

Wendy said...

Thanks Camille. I love to read and have been expanding on my choices of genre as I am constantly introduced to new ones. My newest interest is cozy mysteries and I hope to get some of those read soon.