Saturday, March 31, 2012

The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games #1) by Suzanne Collins

The Hunger Games (The Hunger Games, #1)The Hunger Games by Suzanne Collins

My rating: 5 of 5 stars


In the ruins of a place once known as North America lies the nation of Panem, a shining Capitol surrounded by twelve outlying districts. The Capitol is harsh and cruel and keeps the districts in line by forcing them all to send one boy and one girl between the ages of twelve and eighteen to participate in the annual Hunger Games, a fight to the death on live TV.

Sixteen-year-old Katniss Everdeen, who lives alone with her mother and younger sister, regards it as a death sentence when she steps forward to take her sister's place in the Games. But Katniss has been close to dead before—and survival, for her, is second nature. Without really meaning to, she becomes a contender. But if she is to win, she will have to start making choices that will weigh survival against humanity and life against love.

~~~



I am late to read this book. I really wanted to wait until I had all 3 books in my hands to start reading and in hindsight I am glad that I waited. I would have been very upset if I had to wait to read #2. That being said there is not a lot for me to add to what others have already said. The book grabs you right from the start. I was moved to tears from the beginning when Prim's name is chosen in the drawing. The characters are developed brilliantly and the pace of the book is perfect. I did not want to put it down until I finished it, but at the same time, I did not want to finish it because I did not want it to end. Most of the story was believable even though it would be a horrific reality. I did have a little trouble with the reincarnated/genetically engineered(?) wolf creatures. I saw no purpose for them unless the author plans to follow up in a latter book. I am not sure how the author is going to be able to follow up in the next 2 books now that the Hunger Games have ended, but I am looking forward to finding out.



View all my reviews

No comments: